Temazcal Ceremony in Cancun
Experience the secrets of Pre-Hispanic purification
Enjoy a Pre-Hispanic temazcal ceremony in Cancun, a pre-Hispanic ritual to clean the spirit and the body.
Let a shaman guide you through this holistic experience at the ancient Pre-Hispanic ceremonial center of Polé, surrounded by the jungle and an underground river.
Enter the temazcal, a round building with a low ceiling that represents the maternal womb. Here, the four elements are unified in herbal vapors, created by the interaction of cold cenote water on volcanic stones.
Feel how these vapors surround your body and mind. Listen to the voice of the shaman, while a new energy invigorates you and replaces everything you no longer need.
At the end of the temazcal ritual, complete the purification process with an immersion in a natural pool with water from refreshing rivers.
Renew yourself with the temazcal ceremony at Xcaret!
Duration: 60 min.
Hours: 12:30 p.m.; 2:00 p.m.; 3:30 p.m.
Minimum Age: from 12 years of age.
- Circle of fire ceremony.
- Ceremony inside the temazcal.
- Bath at river pool and farewell.
- Use of towel (during the activity only).
- You must choose your schedule upon arrival at the park.
- Duration: 60 min (5 min welcome / 10 min ceremony / 25-30 min temazcal / 15 min river pool and farewell).
- Minimum age required: 12 years (activity recommended for adults only. In case of minors of 12 years, it is necessary to have done sauna or temazcal before).
- Maximum capacity: 45 people.
- Activity for adults only.
- Not recommended for children, pregnant women, or people who suffer from claustrophobia, hypertension, diabetes; with heart problems, asthma, or low blood pressure.
- Your purchase is valid for one year and has a Bad Weather Guarantee (only applies 24 hours in advance).
- Reservations cancelled more than 2 days prior to your original booking date are subject to a 10% charge for administrative fees; cancellations made between 0 and 2 days prior to your original booking date, or in the case of no-shows or not using your coupon, are nonrefundable. Any change on your booking date is subject to an adjustment in the price.
About the activity
What happens during a temazcal ceremony?
It begins with a welcoming ceremony by the shaman guide. Then you enter the Temazcal, already at a high temperature, where you will take a seat in a circle around the hot stones and special herbs that will cleanse your body and mind. During the process, the shaman will perform the ritual to purify and renew you.
How old is temazcal?
Temazcal is a ritual originated in the pre-Hispanic era, around 5,000 years ago, to purify, cleanse and reconnect with oneself and nature.
What should I do before temazcal?
Prepare for a ritual to ease your body and mind. Also, eat light, like fruits and vegetables. Drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol.
What can I expect from a temazcal ceremony?
An experience with yourself, a ritual to cleanse your body and mind, to feel toxins leaving your body through your sweat and to connect with mother nature.
How often can you do temazcal?
Once a week is ideal but if you can’t, it doesn’t matter how much as well as the times you do it, you do it correctly and mentally prepared.
How do you feel after temazcal?
Physically, completely relaxed. Mentally, completely renewed and deeply connected to yourself.
How long does a temazcal last?
At Xcaret, the temazcal ceremony lasts 60 minutes (5 min welcome / 10 min ceremony / 25-30 min temazcal / 15 min river pool and farewell).
Quote your activity
Your optional activity requires an admission, you can add both here. Your visit date will be the same as the date of your optional activity.
*Only applies to tickets to Parks and Tours.